Re: [Usability] Default Save Location and Default Save Filetype in UI config

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Christian Neumair wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:30:23 +0100
> From: Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: Gian Marco Fenu <gianmarcofenu supermercatigieffe it>,
>      usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Default Save Location and Default Save Filetype
>     in UI config
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 22.12.2005, 20:58 +0000 schrieb Alan Horkan:
> > On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Gian Marco Fenu wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:55:42 +0100
> > > From: Gian Marco Fenu <gianmarcofenu supermercatigieffe it>
> > > To: usability gnome org
> > > Subject: [Usability] Default Save Location and Default Save Filetype in
> > >     UI config
> > >
> > > Hi, it's a long time I use Gnumeric and I would like to have this two
> > > policy in the user interface configuration.
> >
> > Someone was just asking about that on both the Abiword and Gnumeric IRC
> > channels.
> >
> > You best best would be to check bugzilla and see if such as request has
> > already been filed against Gnumeric.  http://bugzilla.gnome.org
> > I believe there is already a similar request against Abiword
> > http://bugzilla.abisource.com
> >
> > By the way this message is a little bit offtopic for this list but I
> > understand it is hard to know when to just ask developers directly.
>
> I've asked Gian to bring this up on the usability mailing list, because
> I think there should be a policy, or at least discussions on default

remebering last used locations should help reduce some of the animosity
some people feel towards the file chooser

I certainly dont think opening in the same directory as the binary is very
useful

> save locations. We have to investigate the ways people use their folder
> hierarchy (was that done already?). For Epiphany, using ~/Downloads, or
> ~/Desktop/Downloads has proven to be appropriate, when looking how my
> mother uses documents, we might rather have ~/Documents as default save
> location, if the software in question was not spawned from an
> interactive shell.
>
> The long-term solution is to dump everything in ~/Documents by default,

I would certainly encourage Gnumeric to put files in ~/Documents or even
~/Documents/Spreadsheets/

- Alan