Re: [Usability] The ``Replace File'' dialog should display the two

Em 4 Aug, 2005, às 7:35 AM, Christian Neumair escreveu:

Am Donnerstag, den 04.08.2005, 12:11 +0200 schrieb Diego Moya:
I noticed there's a functionality missing. Now you can't rename files.
Maybe you could add a "Rename selected" button alongside the
"Overwrite selected" one? Or maybe another column with a "rename"
command button for each file.

Maybe you could post a mockup? I can't think of a nice way to integrate
this into the GUI atm - I also suppose that this isn't very common. The
midnight commander doesn't have it, and the midnight commander has
everything else ;). How is this functionality integrated into win32/mac
os?

It isn't. The file managers built into Windows and Mac OS aren't very powerful. (They don't even include a mass-rename function, for example.)

It's great that people are working on designing an interface for synchronizing multiple copies of items; it would be a great feature for Nautilus that Explorer and Finder don't have. But it really doesn't belong as an unexpected alert -- such a complex window popping up apparently by itself (the necessary preflighting to count all the conflicts could take dozens of seconds after the move/copy was ordered) would fail the "WTF?" test no matter how it was designed.

I think the overwrite alert should be really simple, a maximum of two sentences with "Replace" and "Cancel" buttons, so that people will have a chance of reading it; and a "Synchronize..." or similar button leading to this advanced interface for fine-grained overwrite/retain/rename decisions.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/