Re: Explaining drag and drop instead of a file chooser [was Re: [Usability] Thoughts about the file chooser]

Dnia 28-09-2004, wto o godzinie 00:34 +0100, Alan Horkan napisał:
> I believe (no substantial facts though that) some of the chronic slowness
> in drag and drop is an X Server issue and hopefully X.org will be able to
> improve it.  (Also i think it might be particulary bad on because of the
> thin client setup i sometimes use but even on a standad setup it is much
> slower than drag and drop ever was on Mac OS or Microsoft Windows).

eh? How is DnD "slow"? I can understand that dragging the icon around is
physically slow process, but I've yet to see instance of DnD itself
generating any noticeable latencies

> I dont know the details of spring loaded folders but there are other
> things that could be done to improve drag and drop like having
> the applications entry in the tasklist accept drag and drop targerts or at
> least switch to application if you hover over an entry in the tasklist
> with a drag and drop target (this latter behaviour is what MS windows
> does).

As does GNOME's taskbar. Just try it :)

Cheers,
Maciej