Re: Explaining drag and drop instead of a file chooser [was Re: [Usability] Thoughts about the file chooser]

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:

> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 02:06:51 +0200
> From: Maciej Katafiasz <mnews22 wp pl>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: David Christian Berg <david sipsolutions net>,
>      Usability List <usability gnome org>
> Subject: Re: Explaining drag and drop instead of a file chooser [was Re:
>     [Usability] Thoughts about the file chooser]
>
> Dnia 28-09-2004, wto o godzinie 00:34 +0100, Alan Horkan napisał:
> > I believe (no substantial facts though that) some of the chronic slowness
> > in drag and drop is an X Server issue and hopefully X.org will be able to
> > improve it.  (Also i think it might be particulary bad on because of the
> > thin client setup i sometimes use but even on a standad setup it is much
> > slower than drag and drop ever was on Mac OS or Microsoft Windows).
>
> eh? How is DnD "slow"? I can understand that dragging the icon around is
> physically slow process, but I've yet to see instance of DnD itself
> generating any noticeable latencies

I'll have to assume it was due at least in part to the thin client setup.

> > I dont know the details of spring loaded folders but there are other
> > things that could be done to improve drag and drop like having
> > the applications entry in the tasklist accept drag and drop targerts or at
> > least switch to application if you hover over an entry in the tasklist
> > with a drag and drop target (this latter behaviour is what MS windows
> > does).
>
> As does GNOME's taskbar. Just try it :)

(when I wrote I was remote connected to a machine with only a console)
it see it now, it works at least as well as on Windows but I could still
do without the delay and being able to drop directly onto the task list
instead of needing to wait for the window to switch would be even more
convenient.

- Alan