Re: [Usability] Thoughts about the file chooser

On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 03:13 +0200, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> I was wondering: have you thought about replacing the whole file dialog
> with a single "drag files here" widget, or some kind of file list where
> you can drag the files to?
>
> This could make sense if your priority is to offer a minimal interface,
> with no duplication of functionality. And would solve the problem where
> the application asks for a file, but you already have the file visible
> in another file manager (be it nautilus or not).
>
> If dragging is too difficult, Gnome could provide a "send to"
> functionality (e.g. right-click file, the context menu opens, select
> "send to window", a window list opens, select the file chooser window).
> I implemented something like that in http://onefinger.sf.net.

I believe this has been discussed a couple times in the past-- my
personal feeling is that, while the FileChooser should be a viable drog-
drop target for files, we shouldn't get rid of its browsing
functionality.

To tear out the browser from the filechooser would have a bad impact on
people who, for instance, invoke their programs from a terminal and
don't use a GUI file manager.