Re: [Usability] File roller Integration suggestion

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Simon wrote:

> Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:31:59 +0200
> From: Simon <spointm free fr>
> To: usability <usability gnome org>
> Subject: [Usability] File roller Integration suggestion
>
> Hello
>
> I've compiled gnome 2.8. I think it's great
>
> I've a suggestion, about file-roller:
>  - a right click on an archive shows "extract here .."
> 	But I think "extrat to ..." would be more conveniant

If your archive is on a read only device this would be a real
help (I wonder what happens to "Extract Here" if you are on a read
only device?)

There are lots of options you could add but it hard to know which
ones are best, but if the developers are tying to keep things as simple as
possible then "Extract Here" seems like the simplest and most straight
forward option and makes a good default.

>  - The popup after a <alt>+drag&drop (Copy, move, link ...) should
> contaons "extract here" too ...
>
> What do you think about this ?

I'm terrible for not changing the defaults but I believe there are already
Nautilus scripts that allow you to add this kind of functionality.
Hopefully someone who likes to tweek their setup will be able to point you
in the right direction.

I understand that "Extract to..." is a more flexible and poweful option
and should probably be easier to add but I'm not sure it should be
included by default.

The ultimate in integration that we have known about for years and I am
sure has been discussed here several times (before File Roller was even
created) is a proper Zip Filesystem, so that Zip archives can be browsed
transparently like any other folder.  There have been some solutions that
do this but none have ever been developed enough to include in Gnome.
I'm a little disappointed to see that windows XP finally includes this
functionality, I think KDE has something similar too but unfortunately
Gnome doesn't yet.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/