Re: [Usability] Re: Nautilus Toolbar customization

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues wrote:

> Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:24:21 -0300
> From: Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues <lookkas gmail com>
> To: Reinout van Schouwen <reinout cs vu nl>
> Cc: Super Donkey <smurf_www xs4all nl>, usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Re: Nautilus Toolbar customization
>
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:49:53 +0200 (CEST), Reinout van Schouwen
> <reinout cs vu nl> wrote:

> > > Well an application can't wait until the GTK guys figure it out.
> >
> > Epiphany has a toolbar editor very similar to Firefox's, and it uses
> > GTK. So the code is there, but you'll have to find someone to patch
> > nautilus. =)
>
> IMVHO, The epiphany toolbar editor should be extended to be used in
> all gtk/gnome apps.

I always figured that if it was too high level for GTK then Gnome would
start providing not just stock widgets but whole stock dialogs for
things like Find and Replace, or in this case Menu Editing but Ideally
I would like to see it go all the way to GTK.

> This would be great (and consistent). I'm not sure
> why the gnome developers didn't figure this out yet.

It is rarely a question of figuring it out.
Most likely it is because no one has considered the work important enough
to do it, I expect there are far more developers working on end user
applications than there are developers working on pushing improvements in
the toolkit that will benifit all GTK applications.

> Even with few
> buttons by default, one may want to have less buttons on his layout.
>
> As usual:
>
> 1 - This is not intended to be a flame;

if you even have to say this then you should carefully reconsider your
choice of words.

> 2 - Currently, I don't have the skills to do that by myself (I wish I could)

I know the feeling.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/