Re: [Usability] Efficient navigation in nautilus

I also checked the middle click. But it did not work. What version of gnome do you use?
My version is 2.6.0 from Fedora Core 2.

2.6.1, Gentoo
Looking forward to this version ;-)

There's no tab completion, because tab is used for widget focus navigation.
The only possibilty to help the user when there are several possible completions I can think of, is showing a list below the inputfield, just like Epiphany does. But for not making the buttons inaccessible, it should not be a dropdown. Instead there could always be about 3 lines space below the path input.
Yes thatīs why I proposed to implement the location input separate and not in a dialog.

Not in a dialog so that tab can be used for completion?
That's a hack and allowing tab completion would still hurt consistency.
Hmm .. yes itīs not consistent to graphical user interface standards. But it would resemble bash behaviour for pro users. I have adapted so much to tab completion that I find it difficult to type long paths without it.
If it is not tab there should be another key that does the same.

Besides for consistency why do you need the buttons anyway. If you want your lcation change done you could type enter if you want to return where you came from you could type esc.

The way browsers work is not very suitable for paths. I only use the browserīs completion if it gives me the full path I want. With tab completion in bash I can even explore an unknow structure. Thatīs probably also the big difference between bash and browser path completion. The browser completion only works with a history the bash completion works always.

The completion could even work with other elements than normal paths. It could show matching servers and shares in an smb://server/share path. Or it could even show the protocols if you have an empty path and type tab (or another key defined for this purpose ;-).

I also thought about the possibility to integrate the display of matching entries beside the input field. This would probably be easier to implement than my suggestion but I think it does not match the spatial idea very well. In any way it would be great if these entries were also clickable so you can type but you donīt have to.

Sure. Same behaviour as with Epiphany.
Hmm you mean when the possible completions are show below the path? Is there enough space for many matching entries? In bash the matches are shown in columns.

What do you think about the possibility of opening the spatial folders and showing the matches there?

btw. It would be also great to have a search function inside folders like in mozilla. Where you type your search and the results are shown below as you type. For my large mail folders this is always a very fast search mode.

Christian Schneider