Re: [Usability] gThumb UI changes

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 01:44:33PM -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:

> Ok, you've convinced me that these 3 modes are not exclusive to each
> other, and so shouldn't be represented that way.  I'd certainly like to
> hear your ideas on how to layout the UI to properly show the correct
> relationships between the different possible views in gthumb.

:-)
Possibilities with Folders/Catalogues:
- Pane with 2 tabs
- Hierarchy with 2 roots: filesystem and Catalogues
- Catalogues put into the filesystem (handled like folders)

Note: I think the Library concept should be removed. Better to allow
Catalogues to be put inside Catalogues. Or am I missing an aspect of this?

> Okay, let's have a look at the layouts and how we might do a tab bar.
> Firstly, I'll argue that the thumbnails list must be grouped with the
> folders list, because they both show the contents of the current
> directory.  So the contents of the notebook should hold the path entry,
> folders list, and thumbnails list.

I see it as a 2 stage selection process and a final viewer.
- Selection of Folder/Catalogue
- Selection of image (thumbnail)
- The image in the viewer

3 closely related, but still seperated parts.

Tabs would only affect the Folders/Catalogues pane (path and tree, and
navigation). So it wouldn't make sense to put more than that into the
tabbed area.

But a multi-rooted hierarchy would be better for putting stuff into
Catalogues anyway. With my preference still being Catalogues in the
regular filesystem, best as a gnome wide standard.

The Image mode should be about mini-/maximizing the viewer. Only
problem is what to do with the toolbar(s). I can't look into that
before tomorrow evening (and will not promise anything ;-).

I thought it would be better to move this to the gthumb mailing list.
But it looks like it's dead (only spam recently)!

---
Thorsten Wilms