Re: [Usability] Efficient navigation in nautilus

Thorsten Wilms wrote:

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 01:27:47AM +0200, Christian Schneider wrote:

The first thing is an up button. While you can go down the path without opening many windows by clicking with the middle key there is no way to go up again and still stay with one window.

Middle click works the same way in the status bar menu. Didn't know about this before, just thought it could be and tested it!
I also checked the middle click. But it did not work. What version of gnome do you use?
My version is 2.6.0 from Fedora Core 2.

The second thing is the quick location entry. You can open a location input field by typing Ctrl-L. It even supports tab completion. But compared with the bash shell tab completion that is not enough. If there are several paths that start with the same part you are stuck if you donīt exactly know the name.

My idea to solve the problem is to open a simple input field in the lower left corner when Ctrl-L is pressed. It could even stay there permanently. When you type a path the matching folder windows could open. If you type tab and there is only one matching path it will be opened like before. If there are several possibilities the folder window could show the possible completions. Then you can go on typing or click the folder or file. So we have the graphical appearence of spatial browsing and the speed and features of bash tab completion.

There's no tab completion, because tab is used for widget focus navigation.
The only possibilty to help the user when there are several possible completions I can think of, is showing a list below the inputfield, just like Epiphany does. But for not making the buttons inaccessible, it should not be a dropdown. Instead there could always be about 3 lines space below the path input.
Yes thatīs why I proposed to implement the location input separate and not in a dialog. I also thought about the possibility to integrate the display of matching entries beside the input field. This would probably be easier to implement than my suggestion but I think it does not match the spatial idea very well. In any way it would be great if these entries were also clickable so you can type but you donīt have to.