[Usability] Efficient navigation in nautilus

Gnome 2.6 introduces a spatial navigation model. This means that each folder coresponds to a certain window with a different size and position that is saved permanently. While this concept is quite well known already, gnome tries to do it a little better than other graphical environments. While I like the spatial idea there are some chances for improvements.

The first thing is an up button. While you can go down the path without opening many windows by clicking with the middle key there is no way to go up again and still stay with one window.

The second thing is the quick location entry. You can open a location input field by typing Ctrl-L. It even supports tab completion. But compared with the bash shell tab completion that is not enough. If there are several paths that start with the same part you are stuck if you donīt exactly know the name.

My idea to solve the problem is to open a simple input field in the lower left corner when Ctrl-L is pressed. It could even stay there permanently. When you type a path the matching folder windows could open. If you type tab and there is only one matching path it will be opened like before. If there are several possibilities the folder window could show the possible completions. Then you can go on typing or click the folder or file. So we have the graphical appearence of spatial browsing and the speed and features of bash tab completion.

I have illustrated my idea with an image on my site:
http://www.liquid-reality.de/main/interests/nautilus_nav

If the path input field is shown permanently it could adapt to the folder shown. It could even show the current file path when I edit a document in gedit.

I would be very interested in your opinions on this ideas. Is something like this already planned? Is it possible? Does it conform to the general idea of spatial navigation?

Christian Schneider