Re: [Usability] Best GUI

That is a gDesklet, programs that display information on your desktop.
These can be email notifications, weather information, battery status and
system information like in the screenshot you provided - much like applets
on the panel. You can get them from http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org
where there is quite a large repository.

Stephen