Re: [Usability] Close vs Exit vs Quit definitions.

"James M. Cape" wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 15:52 +0100, Patrick Costello wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I noticed recently that the topic of close vs exit vs quit was discussed
> > again
> > on this mailing list.  This is timely because we documenters need to
> > resolve this issue. Basically, all these terms are used in GNOME
> > applications, sometimes interchangeably, and often inconsistently. For the
> > purpose of creating consistent documentation, as well as for creating a
> > consistent user experience, we need to address the following questions:
> >
> > 1. Are the terms close, quit, and exit synonymous as used in the GNOME
> > Desktop? If they are synonymous, which term should we recommend, and why
> > should one term take precedence over the other?
> >
> > 2. Do the terms close, quit, and exit express different states of action?
> > If so, what is the difference?
>
> [snip]
>
> The HIG defines what terms to use in the UI already. The HIG usage is:
>
> Close means "close this document (window)".

The above definition is similar to the documentation team findings.

> Quit means "quit this task".

Our investigations caused us to conclude that "quit" is an abrupt cessation
of activity. Often not particularly desirable or chosen.

> Exit should not be used, because one doesn't "exit" a task.

I'm not entirely sure. The AHD says: "Task (5): A computer programming
technique for ending a repeated cycle of operations."

> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/language.html#id2862949
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/menus.html#the-file-menu
>
> So, any "Exit" items which appear in the desktop are a bug according to
> the HIG.

Problem is, "Exit" is used in the Desktop and applications. So what are
documentors supposed to document? Ok, we can log a bug, but the term is
still present for users.