Re: [Usability]HIG should advise against Yes/No in confirmation alerts

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:57:22PM -0500, Gregory Merchan wrote:

> > I'm asking for a rationale for the "never ask a question" statement.
>
> Failure.
>
> My failure to think of a case where a question would be needed. :-)

This bit is somewhat of a circular argument :)

> "Save changes to the document Foo before closing?"
>
> To me, such a question should be answered with a yes or a no. For

I'm not sure that this pedantry is particularly relevant though.

> My point is that I don't think it's necessary to ask a question or
> give orders; stating the problem should suffice. But, I'm probably wrong.

I believe the user model is that the computer is asking a question; the
most natural text, then, is that in the form of a question. And "Close
without Saving"  seems a logical and meaningful answer to the example
question.

regards
john