Re: [Usability]Gnome file dialog improvement

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 23:05, MM wrote:
> > I think the only reason why some application developers don't use it
> > simply is, that the current one is pretty bad. Of course we need a new
> > one but I wouldn't want to see it packed with confusing features or
> > copied from the Windows fileselector.
> >
> > If the interface of the fileselector is more complex than the interface
> > of the filemanager, something is wrong IMHO. :)
>
> Made some adjustments. And it looks pretty nice IMHO
> Look under results - more nautilus like version
> http://home.wanadoo.nl/sbm/

Isn't this too confusing?
Compare that to Mac OS X's filesave dialog:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/AquaHIGuidelines/AHIGDialogs/iSaving_Clos_ng_Behavior.html
They only start with a field to enter the filename and a possibility to
select the folder. And that's exactly what is needed IMO, not more not
less. And doing this should be as simple and straightforward as
possible. Should we settle for less?

What you suggested there would be more appropriate for a file open
dialog IMO. It's missing a possibility to access your bookmarks though.
:) And the "location" toolbar is pretty much expert only, so maybe hide
it by default and provide a toggle button to show it? This could be done
for regular Nautilus as well. Not sure though. Of course experienced
experts can just use CTRL-L (great feature btw) and disable this bar by
default. For less experienced users I think it could get into the way...
I would also remove the "stop" and "reload" button because that's not
neccessary in a filepicker, or is it?