Re: [Usability]Gnome file dialog improvement

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 11:51, MM wrote:
> Now that everything in gnome-2 looks so good. Something of increasing
> irritation to me has been the gnome file dialog. I don't know about
> similar efforts, except for this
> http://developer.gnome.org/gnome-ui/hitsquad/filedialog.html
>
> My first attempt. http://home.wanadoo.nl/sbm/ fire away guys ;)

There was some talk at the Gnome Desktop Hackers ml recently (or rather
still is).
However, I'm personally not a fan of the Windows/Qt/KDE file dialogs at
all. It isn't really consistent with the rest of the Gnome desktop IMO.
I always thought that using the filemanager to open a file is superior
and I wondered how filemanager and filepicker could be combined.
So my "dream filepicker" would basically look like a Nautilus view, with
navigation at top, a Nautilus fileview and buttons for bookmarks and
"view as" to change the viewmode.
As for a filesave dialog, I don't see a point of making it that
complicated. I like the Mac OS filesaver, only showing the filename, a
"where" button (including your bookmarks and recently used folders) and
an expandable (closed by default) fileviewer component to select the
folder manually.