Re: [Usability]Gnome file dialog improvement

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 15:36, Daniel Borgmann wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 11:51, MM wrote:
> > Now that everything in gnome-2 looks so good. Something of increasing
> > irritation to me has been the gnome file dialog. I don't know about
> > similar efforts, except for this
> > http://developer.gnome.org/gnome-ui/hitsquad/filedialog.html
> >
> > My first attempt. http://home.wanadoo.nl/sbm/ fire away guys ;)
>
> There was some talk at the Gnome Desktop Hackers ml recently (or rather
> still is).
> However, I'm personally not a fan of the Windows/Qt/KDE file dialogs at
> all. It isn't really consistent with the rest of the Gnome desktop IMO.
Well I agree somewhat. I have to do something about that. It is not yet
finished. Its missing in a lot right click menu's and I still have to
put us some text to make some thing more clear.

> I always thought that using the filemanager to open a file is superior
> and I wondered how filemanager and filepicker could be combined.
> So my "dream filepicker" would basically look like a Nautilus view, with
> navigation at top, a Nautilus fileview and buttons for bookmarks and
> "view as" to change the viewmode.
Well that are the basic features. The main point is that I would like
nautilus integration. This would help a lot when searching for images
and previewing as well as give a more integrated desktop feel.

> As for a filesave dialog, I don't see a point of making it that
> complicated. I like the Mac OS filesaver, only showing the filename, a
> "where" button (including your bookmarks and recently used folders) and
> an expandable (closed by default) fileviewer component to select the
> folder manually.
Well my reasoning was that a lot of the features were necessary because
the file dialog seems to be tossed out in favor of a self made one by
the application developer. I've included the Gimp and Anjuta dialogs.

Clearly the current isn't flexible or useful enough for application
developers to be taken seriously. If application developers are not
going to implement it what is the use of it being good enough.