Re: [Usability]Gnome file dialog improvement

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 16:33, MM wrote:
> > As for a filesave dialog, I don't see a point of making it that
> > complicated. I like the Mac OS filesaver, only showing the filename, a
> > "where" button (including your bookmarks and recently used folders) and
> > an expandable (closed by default) fileviewer component to select the
> > folder manually.
> Well my reasoning was that a lot of the features were necessary because
> the file dialog seems to be tossed out in favor of a self made one by
> the application developer. I've included the Gimp and Anjuta dialogs.

The Gimp only needs an additional field for the filetype and I don't
think this should be existent in every filepicker. The other difference
is preview but this should be available by default of course. I don't
see any other other difference in both file open and file save dialogs
with Gimp 1.3.
For Anjuta, I looked at your screenshot but couldn't see any new feature
to the standard dialog, besides of "show hidden" maybe.

> Clearly the current isn't flexible or useful enough for application
> developers to be taken seriously. If application developers are not
> going to implement it what is the use of it being good enough.

I think the only reason why some application developers don't use it
simply is, that the current one is pretty bad. Of course we need a new
one but I wouldn't want to see it packed with confusing features or
copied from the Windows fileselector.

If the interface of the fileselector is more complex than the interface
of the filemanager, something is wrong IMHO. :)