Re: [Usability]Attempt at constructive criticism

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:19:27 +0200
From: Aleksander Adamowski <olo altkom com pl>
To: bordoley msu edu
Cc: usability gnome org
Subject: Re: [Usability]Attempt at constructive criticism - "Why Gnome 2 sucks
 for me"

>There has been some discussion of adding a revert to default option for these
>dialogs. That said, I really dont think this is that big of an issue,

No, revert to default wouldn't be good - the user doesn't care about
defaults as much as about the actual previous settings (before the
change), whether they were at defaults, or customized.

E.g.:
Imagine a user that has finally decided upon a theme he likes best. He
has set that theme and since then he worked in Gnome for some time. Now
he doesn't remember the theme's name, he enters Control Center, and
mistakes e.g. GTK themes for window decoration themes. So he sets a
different one - and instantly starts to regret that single mouse click
because he switched to a different theme! Not having the previous
theme's name in memory, he now has to try all the themes (there are
dozens) untile he re-finds his favourite.

So it shouldn't be "revert to defaults" (I can delete dotfiles from my
$HOME, thank you), it should be "undo last change".

Hi Aleksander,

Before you decide that the instant apply is not beneficial or that a revert button is required please hear my point of view:

I have asked various members of my family and a few friends to try the new nautillus and Gnome with instant apply dialog boxes and the most popular comment is that they do not need to worry about clicking apply and then clicking OK or just clicking OK, which they are used to doing with Microsoft Windows. It just works straight away, which is highly regarded, when faced with applying and then OKaying changes.

Your second issue with the undo last change or revert button, having asked the same group what they thought of this, some thought it a good idea, and others said they would remember thus it would only clutter things up. Perhaps a usability expert could shed some light on this matter.

Hope this helps.

Mark Pawson.