Re: Comments on dialog proposal

Maciej,

There are some fair points in what you say. I'm not going to respond
to everything individually, just a few points. I don't agree with
everything you say, but I don't think that our disagreements amount to
much more than differing tastes.

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 02:35:32PM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> On 06Sep2001 01:18PM (+0100), colin z robertson wrote:
> > Time and date settings: Mail and files are being timestamped
> > constantly on my system, and cron relies on knowing the the time.
> > Having the time set to an incorrect value is dangerous.
>
> I agree, although I think it's useful to think about the setting
> vs. preference distinction here.

Well, in general, I'm _very_ dubious about this distinction.

> > > I imagined a whole lot before
> > > trying it, but having used them in Nautilus and OS X I think they work
> > > great. Have you tried out any programs that have instant-apply
> > > preference dialogs?
> >
> > Not many. I was rather disorientated when I encountered them in the
> > panel. (I don't use Nautilus.)
> >

> Did you get used to it over time?

Well, my panel setup is pretty stable, so I haven't used it much. But
I've just been playing around with it, and while I know it's the panel
-- I can't do anything bad with it -- I can't get rid of that slight
fear and discomfort. Maybe it's just that I have the instincts of
someone who's used Windows for many years and GNOME for a few, but it
just goes against everything I expect from everyday controls.

(Incidentally, I did have to rearrange my icons after switching from
normal to large and back again, so my fear wasn't entirely unfounded.
Lossy transforms are yet another potential problem.)

> > I'm fairly fearless about what I do in dialogs because I know that
> > nothing will happen until I press a button. An extra button press is
> > no great price to pay to give the user an impression of safety.
>
> For most preferences, you shouldn't have any fear anyway, because
> there should be no "wrong" values. Are you ever scared to use a light
> switch, or twist a knob on your radio?

On an unfamiliar device, sometimes. Other people's mobile phones scare
me. There may be no wrong values, but I don't necessarily know that
yet.

> > Imagine the following situation: A user who frequently changes the
> > image on his desktop or the font in his documents (and sees that they
> > apply instantly) finds himself in a situation where he has to change
> > something like file permissions, for example, which is something that
> > he barely understands but knows that it has important security
> > implications.
>
> For most users, file permissions are largely unimportant because their
> system is single-user or has relatively few users who are all known to
> him. I think it's foolish to think most users will ever think file
> permissions are such a big deal.

That's not the point. Our hypothetical user barely understands file
permissions. He doesn't know how important or unimportant they are.

> > Our user may not realise that these settings won't be instantly
> > applied (or perhaps won't be sure) and will be too scared to even
> > touch any of the settings for fear of breaking something. Having a
> > user be cautious about pressing an Apply button is one thing, having
> > them too scared to touch anything is another.
>
> I don't think most users are gripped with fear about file permissions.

I'm not sure. Users can get gripped with fear about all sorts of
strange things.

> But in more realistic cases of this (say, setting your IP address), I
> think the presence of an "Apply" or "Save" button will make it very
> clear the settings need to be saved to take effect.

I'm not sure about this either. If this were the case, the fact that
the panel's dialogs only have a Close button should've alerted me to
the fact that the dialogs would instantly apply, but they only did so
when I went to click the Apply or OK button and found it wasn't there.

> To me, instant apply settings derive from the same principle as
> WYSIWYG word processing. Why should I have to pick "Print Preview" to
> see what my document will really look like? Why should I have to hit
> "Apply" to see what my font change will _really_ do?

hm. I'm a LaTeX user. Point taken nonetheless.

> Anyway, this argument is a bit of a waste of time. GNOME is generally
> going with the instant-apply approach, so we should figure out how to
> make that work best for the user. In the words of Kosh, "The avalanche
> has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote."

I think the phrase you're looking for is fait accompli. :)

On balance, I think I'm still against instant-apply in general. But I
can see that it has its supporters and some arguments in its favour.
But it raises a lot of questions, and it needs to done properly. Adam
has done a good job of thinking about this, and I'll deal with some of
the questions when I reply to his proposal.

colin