Re: Comments on dialog proposal

At 11:46 PM +0100 9/5/01, colin z robertson wrote:
On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 11:14:42AM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
 I understand that you were confused in the case you describe. I think
 in time users will be less confused when instant-apply settings
 dialogs become the norm (they will assume all settings apply instantly
 unless some signal says otherwise).

I must confess, while reading through this entire thread I have been
mystified. And thoroughly so. I am mystified by two things: Firstly,
by the assumption that instant-apply dialogs will become the norm, and
secondly, by the belief that they should become the norm.

Apple have recommended instant-apply dialogs for MacOS X, have they
not? But Apple are not Microsoft, and 10% market share is not 90%
market share. So why will this make instant-apply the norm?

I don't think we should be worrying about "the norm" as it applies to the industry as a whole; we should worry about GNOME applications and what we _want_ to be the case.

As Maciej noted, by "become the norm" here he means the norm for GNOME applications, not in the software industry. If we feel that this is the right way to go, then that's what we recommend in the HI Guidelines and it _will_ become the norm.

Furthermore, Apple are not infallible. I can see plenty of potential
problems with instant-apply dialogs, and not a whole lot of
advantages. So why do we want them to become the norm?

Maciej mentioned the primary advantage, IMHO: why have an extra button click to make something happen? It's unnecessary complexity.

I will actually agree that instant-apply dialogs can be a little disconcerting when you first use them, if you are coming from an environment where they are not the norm. But I think in the end we will find them to be simpler than non-instant dialogs.

That said, I think this is definitely a legitimate discussion to have on this list, but we need to have a recommendation in the HI guidelines soon, so it'd be good to have some resolution on it soon. Especially since the person who is questioning the wisdom of instant-apply dialogs is the person responsible for writing that particular part of the HI guidelines. :)

Adam