Re: Comments on dialog proposal

Calum Benson wrote:
> Hmm... OK, Close and Cancel are always supposed to mean exactly the same
> thing, wherever they are used:
>
> OK = apply my unsaved changes now and close the dialog;
> Close = close the dialog, without making any further changes;
> Cancel = close the dialog, discarding any changes I've made in the
> dialog since opening it.*
>
> If their meaning is being abused anywhere, we ought to stamp on it.

The problem is misinterpretation by the user (me), not misuse by the
programmer: the word 'Close' doesn't give any clue about whether you are
accepting or discarding changes (unlike 'OK' and 'Cancel').

Why not change the definition of 'OK' to 'apply my changes if necessary
and close the dialog' and do away with 'Close'?

Michael