Re: Comments on dialog proposal

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 09:16:40AM +1000, Kai Willadsen wrote:
> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
[...]
>> In fact, I think "Save" "Revert" "Close" is a better set
>> of buttons for non-instant dialogs than "OK" "Cancel"
>
> Really? Does "Close" save my changes or not?

I have no idea. I would hope so, but I don't understand the differences
between the window-manager close button, the Save button and the Close
button in that case.  Maybe the Save button does an Apply but then you
have to press Close?  I think I'd need to experiment on non-important
changes before using a dialog that said "Save Revert Close" -- like the
gnome 1.4 and earlier control center, it'd be worrysome and confusing.

For Apply Revert Cancel, I am clear on what they all do.
But part of that is that I've been using computers with an interface
with buttons like that since the mid 1980s.

I have also seen
Apply Reset Cancel
and I'm fine with that too.

The open look ui style guidelines had clear rules on when a button should
dismiss a dialoge, and this helped to make the system predictable.

Lee

--
Liam Quin - XML Core staff contact, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net www.valinor.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org