Re: GNOME 2.0 Must Fix Item #1b - Panel, General Desktop Interaction

On 06 Sep 2001 11:31:57 +0100, Glynn Foster wrote:
> Kevin Vandersloot wrote:
> >
> > Okay, here is a question for all. What about just putting the tasklist in
> > the foobar menu, and removing the bottom panel by default? It would keep
> > things simple. The one issue I could see would be size constraints for small
> > resolutions.

Putting the tasklist on the foobar doesn't work well at low resolutions
anyway. The tasklist takes up a *lot* of space and doesn't leave room
for the launchers, or the tasklist gets shoved off to the side. In the
end I have preferred to have the two thin panels, even at 800x600 (which
is currently our primary "low resolution" target, we can of course look
at 640x480, but I don't think its a priority).

> Well one thing to consider is that the panel can now have [in theory] multiple
> setup according to different resolutions. So with a lower resolution you might
> only have one panel by default. As to whether this is good usability wise is
> not my area, but just thought you should be aware of this ;)

Can this be done automatically? Or would the user have to select
"800x600" from a session list before they login?

-Seth