Re: GNOME 2.0 Must Fix Item #1b - Panel, General Desktop Interaction

On Wed, 2001-09-05 at 17:23, Kevin Vandersloot wrote:
> Okay, here is a second draft. I would appreciate comments, especially
> about the default layout.
>

> Changes:
> * remove suggestion for default launchers since it is in Nils' menu
> proposal
> * added more specific initial settings for the default applets
> * removed desk-guide from initial panel (screem if you think otherwise)
>

> GNOME 2.0 UI Must Fix Item #1b- Panel, General Desktop Interaction
>

> Default Panel / Applets
>
> * Similar to Ximian GNOME 1.4 setup.
> * Two panels - Foobar on top, edge panel (tiny- 24 pixels) on bottom.

Agreed.  It's a great set up which combines the windows / Mac interfaces
(to a point) and draws on their best points.

> * Foobar is place to put launchers / random applets (vendor specific).
> * Clock format should be 7:00 PM Wed Sep 05 (patch needed to add the
> date)

I disagree.  Though having the date would be useful, I prefer having it
in a tooltip and only having the time up there under normal
circumstances.  Though, I suppose I could see the date being useful, so
I suppose it's basically up to everyone else on this one. ;)

> * Edge panel contains tasklist
> * tasklist should be dynamic and expand to fill in extra space (Needs a
> small patch to make the tasklist have the ability to expand to extra
> sapce)

Personally, I prefer my task list the way it is.  However, the tasklist
applet does have the option of expanding to fill the extra space, so
this functionality is already available.  I could see how it could be
really useful to some users, so I don't object to changing it as a
default (just as long as the option to change it back remains). :)

> Application Feedback
>
> * Must provide some feedback of any form for launcing applications from
> panel / run dialog.

Agreed.  I like the old "mouse pointer hourglass" thing....but maybe
there's room for something new there.

> * Nautilus should provide feedback for launching applications and
> opening new windows (especially from the desktop).

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, could you elaborate please?

> * Feedbacks should behave the same for the two - same cursor, etc.

Brian