Re: GNOME 2.0 Must Fix Item #1b - Panel, General Desktop Interaction

> * Similar to Ximian GNOME 1.4 setup.
> * Two panels - Foobar on top, edge panel (tiny- 24 pixels) on bottom.
> * Foobar is place to put launchers / random applets (vendor specific).
> * Clock format should be 7:00 PM Wed Sep 05 (patch needed to add the
> date)
> * Edge panel contains tasklist
> * tasklist should be dynamic and expand to fill in extra space (Needs a
> small patch to make the tasklist have the ability to expand to extra
> sapce)

It doesn't *have* to influence our decisions, but most vendors probably
will turn on the deskguide, even if they otherwise use this setup. I
suspect this is an important feature to Sun in particular. I do have
some concerns about users losing windows and such, but remember that for
now we are tuning this to be an engineer's desktop, not your mom's
desktop. Since this is one of the nicer/smoother advanced user features
of X, I think burying it may turn out to be a bad idea.

-Seth