Re: GNOME 2.0 Must Fix Item #1b - Panel, General Desktop Interaction

Hi Brian.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Crescimanno" <darksheer fotographix com>
To: <usability gnome org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: GNOME 2.0 Must Fix Item #1b - Panel, General Desktop
Interaction

> > Default Panel / Applets
> >
> > * Similar to Ximian GNOME 1.4 setup.
> > * Two panels - Foobar on top, edge panel (tiny- 24 pixels) on bottom.
>
> Agreed.  It's a great set up which combines the windows / Mac interfaces
> (to a point) and draws on their best points.

Okay, here is a question for all. What about just putting the tasklist in
the foobar menu, and removing the bottom panel by default? It would keep
things simple. The one issue I could see would be size constraints for small
resolutions.

> > * Foobar is place to put launchers / random applets (vendor specific).
> > * Clock format should be 7:00 PM Wed Sep 05 (patch needed to add the
> > date)
>
> I disagree.  Though having the date would be useful, I prefer having it
> in a tooltip and only having the time up there under normal
> circumstances.  Though, I suppose I could see the date being useful, so
> I suppose it's basically up to everyone else on this one. ;)

Well for people that don't use a mouse their isn't really a way to get the
date (short of running evolution or some other calender program). I think it
is also useful to dislplay and their is plenty of space right now on the
foobar. For me I often use my computer to get the date and I don't like
having to position the mouse over the clock to get to the tooltip.

> > * Edge panel contains tasklist
> > * tasklist should be dynamic and expand to fill in extra space (Needs a
> > small patch to make the tasklist have the ability to expand to extra
> > sapce)
>
> Personally, I prefer my task list the way it is.  However, the tasklist
> applet does have the option of expanding to fill the extra space, so
> this functionality is already available.  I could see how it could be
> really useful to some users, so I don't object to changing it as a
> default (just as long as the option to change it back remains). :)

Right now the tasklist will not expand into extra space. So if I put the
size to be 400 and the panel is 800 the tasklist will never expand beyond
800. I could set the size to be 900 and it would shrink to 800,  but
obviously that is not the best solution. The tasklist should be able to work
well for all resolutions.

I also meant to say that these should just be the default tasklist settings.
I'll change that to be more clear in the next revision.

> > * Nautilus should provide feedback for launching applications and
> > opening new windows (especially from the desktop).
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, could you elaborate please?

Yah. User double clicks on My Home on the desktop. Nautilus takes ages for
the window to appear. User double clicks again etc. Same thing goes if I
have a launcher for an application on the desktop.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Kevin