Re: Comments on dialog proposal

At 4:37 PM -0400 9/5/01, Liam Quin wrote:
On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 01:05:04PM -0700, Adam Elman wrote:
 "Done" is less of a problem, but I return to my original objection to
 "Done" by noting that it has absolutely no information about what's
 going to happen when the button is clicked.

I think the problem is you're looking for a verb to mean
    stop showing this window and don't do anything else

You don't need a button for that -- the window manager's "x" is
sufficient.

I disagree, mainly because of the differences in where the "Close" option is in different WMs and different WM themes. On the other hand, what you describe is exactly what MacOS X does in System Preferences.

But if you do have one, I always liked "Dismiss" because
it implies only that the window is going away.

I think it's more common in everyday language to talk about "closing" a window than to "dismiss" a window, so I prefer "close".

Maybe "go away" would be even better, and might make people smile, too.

Y'know, I thought about that too, but I think the "cuteness" would get _really_ irritating as a standard dialog feature.

Adam