Re: Comments on dialog proposal

At 7:55 PM +0100 9/5/01, Michael Rogers wrote:
Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
 I really think "OK" ought to be reserved for cases where the button
 actually does something in addition to closing the dialog.

Fair enough. But 'Close' is uninformative. How about something that
indicates that you accept the current settings, eg 'Accept' or 'Done'?

Again, "Accept" implies that the settings are not actually set until the button is clicked, which is wrong.

"Done" is less of a problem, but I return to my original objection to "Done" by noting that it has absolutely no information about what's going to happen when the button is clicked. "Close" is a specific verb which indicates a specific action: closing the window. I think that's probably why Apple picked it, although I don't know that for certain.

I don't see why Close is any more confusing than "OK" or "Accept" or "Done", really.

Adam