Re: [Usability] Ctl+W

> The current error forces unix users to relearn behaviour and experience
> harmful errors. The people who gain from the current situation are
> ex-windows users who already use that shortcut - note that this is
> probably quite a small subset of "all windows users".

you forget that this is shortcut used by the Mac as well and that it
used by Netscape and Internet Explorer(although its not labelled in my
version), and the browser is the appliction that most people are likely
to be familiar with.

if i have no choice but to use the shell then its not a full desktop OS,
dont worry about pandering to Microsoft, look at Apple its where most of
the MS usability guidelines came from  (i think BeOS use it similarly
too).  Thats not to say i wont use the shell, to write scipts and
automate/find more powerful ways to do repetive tasks, but i cant
understate how huge i think that learning curve really is.

what one of the other posters said about using Ctrl+K to delete the
whole line makes more sense to me, i dont think of a link as a single
word (even though the selection behaviour seems to think so).

Cant please everyone, so try and please as many people as possible (even
if they are only potential users) and dont have any nasty suprises
hidden (watch newbies get confused by Overwrite mode instead of Insert
if you dont know what i mean).