Re: [Fwd: Re: GNOME 2.0 must-fix list Volunteers?]

On 13 Aug 2001 00:36:55 -0700, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > I'm definately willing to take on the log in / out (gdm) portion of
> > proposal writing and preparing something a bit more user oriented.  I
> > have some ideas, and I think I can get something together fairly
> > quickly.
>
> This is just a "must fix" list. These are things that we feel really
> have to be fixed for GNOME2. We want as short a list as possible, while
> covering the really necessary items. If we run through the whole list in
> time (ha ha), we can add more items later, ok?

Understood...seeing as no one else has volunteered for either of those
yet, I'd like to say to everyone on the list that if you'd like to help
with either the GDM or the Nautilus "must-fix" lists for GNOME2, please
send me e-mail at darksheer fotographix com and we'll set up a time to
get together on IRC to discuss some testing issues and what we feel are
"must-fix" issues.

> > As far as things go such as graphic design, window manager themes and
> > such, we might want to see what we can do to drum up some assistance
> > from some of the more high profile Open Source Artists out there (tigert
> > and garrett come to mind).
>
> Given that this sort of art is so hit and miss... I think we're better
> off going through the existing creations of these high profile artists
> (and others) and picking one(s) that best fit our needs.

I understand where you're coming from on this, and it may not be a
GNOME2 "must-fix" situation.  However, when you look at things like the
new windows "Luna" and the Mac OS X interfaces...we're seeing a much
more modern look than the traditional "grey windows" that have been so
pervasive in the past.  I'm certainly not suggesting that we copy either
of these interfaces (especially when you can take a look at themes.org
and find several copies of them already), but I am suggesting that it
might be time to bring the standard GNOME interface more up to date.

Like I said, it might not be a GNOME2 issue, but it's certainly
something we should consider.  As we've discussed several times before,
we're looking at usability and aesthetics..and trying to put usability
first...but I think this might be something we should at least discuss
further, and maybe get some input from those artists on.

Brian