Re: Tinymail 1.0 ?

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 16:38 +0200, Sergio Villar Senin wrote:
> Anuj Verma (Kevin) escribiu:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to build svn checkout of modest for non-maemo platfrom and
> > that has a dependency on libtinymail-1.0.
> >
> > Can someone please confirm if tinymail 1.0 has been released and how
> > can I fetch the same ?
>
> It's still not released but it will be (hopefully) soon. We still need
> to review some API in order to fix it for 1.0
>
> Br
>
> PS: modest will build for you perfectly with tinymail's trunk. If you
> build tinymail packages you'll see how the library names use the 1.0 sufix

Anuj, in cast it's not clear, here is some more explanation.

configure usually checks (usually via pkg-config) for an API name, which
often includes a number (such as gtk-2.0, tinymail-1.0, libxml-2.0) but
that's not necessarily a tarball version (such as tinymail 0.0.9 or gtk+
2.10.2.). The API name doesn't change for every tarball release, because
that would break your configure script each time. This is most confusing
when using unstable pre-1.0 versions.

This becomes clearer when you use pkg-config's --modversion command to
get that tarball version. For instance:

murrayc murrayc-desktop:~$ pkg-config libtinymail-1.0 --modversion
0.0.8
murrayc murrayc-desktop:~$ pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --modversion
2.12.9

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com