Re: Using Tinymail for exposing a folder through DBUS

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 17:01 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 16:42 +0100, Jo Vermeulen wrote:
>
> > I needed this for a research-oriented project I am working on with a
> > couple of last year students.
>
> In case your university is interested in participating int he Summer Of
> Code 2007, of Google, it's possible that a project based on tinymail or
> that does something interesting with tinymail would be accepted.

I'm not sure, but it might be a good initiative to start with :-) I'll
ask around here, and if anything comes out of it, I'll let you know!

> Some examples: some user interfaces for, for example, ePaper displays
> (iRex, Polymer Vision, etc), For the One Laptop Per Child project, for
> mobile phones, ...  Or integration with other applications like, indeed
> Gimmie or Tomboy. With other frameworks like Telepathy and Galago (VoIP
> and Presence).
>
> E-mail as a service, would be another good research subject for which
> the tinymail design could be made suitable (or, already is, since
> everything is an interface .. you can use remote proxy for this).
>
> I of course have plenty of non-research ideas too. Things that are
> really to do (and often are this subjects that certain companies are
> actually willing to pay for, though I can't easily give you a list on
> that here).
>
> Most of the subjects aren't really doable in less than 7 days.

Well, for a SoC project that doesn't really matter. The time limit of 7
days was because this was a small project for a course that had been
scheduled on 7 days for 3 students.

> ps. I'm not very interested in mentoring students that, for example,
> only want to think about "how a MUA user interface would look like". No,
> the student would have to "implement" that user interface too :)

Well, our Master in Human-Computer Interaction is pretty technical, so
it's not all cognitive science and usability testing ;-)

Cheers,

--
Jo Vermeulen
Expertise Centre for Digital Media - Hasselt University