Re: Using Tinymail for exposing a folder through DBUS

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 15:46 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 13:26 +0100, Jo Vermeulen wrote:
>
> > I am looking to export emails listed in a certain folder (e.g. a TODO
> > folder) through DBUS, so a program I am developing can use it.
>
> Sounds like a good idea.

I thought so as well ;-)

> > I was also wondering if Tinymail can use existing Evolution accounts?
>
> It can't reuse Evolution accounts, no. It (the framework) could be
> configured to do this, but the running-code would conflict with the
> running Evolution instance (therefore it's a bad idea to configure it
> this way, I guess)

Oh, I see ... Well the original idea was to use Evolution's D-Bus API,
but I soon came to realize that this API only consists of a single
signal implemented in a plugin (new-mail-notify) :-s

Then we looked at EPlugin, which didn't expose enough hooks for our
purpose. Finally we browsed through the Evolution source, got some
pointers from the Evolution people on a mail-remote-plugin (exposing
functionality through CORBA), looked at libcamel, but we didn't find
anything we could use to quickly create a D-Bus service.

We had a look at Tinymail since it appeared to be a well-designed
architecture encapsulating most of Evolution's mail functionality. Of
course the Python bindings helped as well :-) Evolution Python bindings
would be good for Evolution as well imho ...

> > It seems someone has already had the idea of using Tinymail to expose a
> > DBUS service:
> >
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tinymail
> >

> > Does anyone know who edited this (and has the source code for this
> > example DBUS service)?
>
> Sorry, I don't have the POC anymore.

That's OK ...

> > Maybe the file python-demo/tinymail-python-test.py could help me out
> > here as well.
>
> That file is available in the repository (tests/python-demo).

Indeed, I already found it.

> > Any pointers are greatly appreciated!
>
> Feel free to throw a lot questions on this mailing list, and we'll
> assist you with your D-BUS & Tinymail adventures :)

Ok will do, thanks for the help already!

However, since we ran into a few problems with the deadlock (the ticket
I posted to Trac), we have been experimenting with libgmail [1].

I needed this for a research-oriented project I am working on with a
couple of last year students. We were trying to build something like
Gimmie [2], but extend it beyond digital information (we want to use
information from physical objects as well). We already use D-Bus to
connect to applications like Tomboy or Gaim. We still needed an email
application to provide us with a list of emails that were tagged with a
certain label or were put into a certain folder.

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of time to spare (about 7 full days
with 3 students), which is why we will probably just use GMail :-s If
there's some time left, we might have another look at Tinymail as an
alternative email source for our system.

Or maybe when I have some spare time myself, who knows ... :-)

Cheers,

[1] http://libgmail.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://beatnik.infogami.com/Gimmie

--
Jo Vermeulen
Expertise Centre for Digital Media - Hasselt University