Re: Using Tinymail for exposing a folder through DBUS

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 15:46 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 13:26 +0100, Jo Vermeulen wrote:
>
> > I am looking to export emails listed in a certain folder (e.g. a TODO
> > folder) through DBUS, so a program I am developing can use it.
>
> Sounds like a good idea.
>
> > I was also wondering if Tinymail can use existing Evolution accounts?
>
> It can't reuse Evolution accounts, no. It (the framework) could be
> configured to do this, but the running-code would conflict with the
> running Evolution instance (therefore it's a bad idea to configure it
> this way, I guess)

Hmm, depends on how you define "conflict" and what "reusing Evolution
accounts" means.

If it means "reusing the backing store of Evolution" then it (tinymail)
would create a new file called "summary.mmap" in the directory that, on
local folders, would cause a subfolder "summary.mmap" to be displayed in
the Evolution ui and that, on remote folders, wouldn't conflict that
much (not at all) until the day Evolution would start calling its
"summary" files, "summary.mmap".

If it means "parsing the GConf keys of Evolution and reusing the same
accounts's configuration", then yes .. you could implement a TnyAccount-
Store implementation that does this, and keep your own backing store
separate from the Evolution one.

In neither cases would the already retrieved summary be reused (as in
tinymail both the format and the filename of the summary has been
changed). In the first case would already retrieved E-mails be reused,
when the application on top of tinymail would tny_folder_get_msg the
E-mail.