Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Re: Gnome System Tools + PGI + Progenyhackers + more developers from Debian = working Debian Desktop

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:26:09AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
>
> |    Some time ago, I asked for backends to be moved out of GST, but it
> |   seems that nobody cared, and still people makes the same error. GST
> |   has currently two parts, backends written in Perl and the Gnome
> |   front-end.
>
> Having the backends language-agnostic would be a good thing.  Many
> people dislike perl and like python instead.  Some people want to
> write stuff in C or Prolog or something, and unless there's a good
> reason to restrict backends to one language, I don't think we should.

  As XML is used to communicate between backends and frontends, you can
 use whatever language you want, I guess.

> |     Hardware detection has nothing in common which things that GST or
> |   PGI tools try to do. We're not talking here about PGI installer (I
> |   thinnk that you have mixed them)
>
> Uhm, what does the PGI acronym expand to in your dictionary?  Here it
> expands to «Progeny Graphical Installer».  Anyhow, as others have
> pointed out: for a configuration tool to work well in Debian it should
> work with debconf, not against it.

  Before sleeping the needing hours, PGI means whatever thing but not
 what it really means. Sorry, I was a bit confused. GST, or with the
 other front-ends that could be developed is not aimed to cofiguration
 when you are installing, as you need a working GNOME to use them. But
 they can be used to channge configurations after. What I think that it
 should be interesting is to have the same backends (using debconf, or
 what you think could be better) to do the same things. For example, if
 I want to change the network parameters, I'll use GST. Why have to use
 a different backend that the one used by installation process?

  That's what I meant. Sorry for any confussion I can have created.

> | P.S: I'm CCing you as I asume you're not subscribed to
> | setup-tools-hackers list.
>
> I am subscribed to pgi-workers, however.  np.

  Ok.

--
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
     jsogo@debian.org