Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Re: Gnome System Tools + PGI + Progenyhackers + more developers from Debian = working Debian Desktop

* Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo

|    Some time ago, I asked for backends to be moved out of GST, but it
|   seems that nobody cared, and still people makes the same error. GST
|   has currently two parts, backends written in Perl and the Gnome
|   front-end.

Having the backends language-agnostic would be a good thing.  Many
people dislike perl and like python instead.  Some people want to
write stuff in C or Prolog or something, and unless there's a good
reason to restrict backends to one language, I don't think we should.

|     Hardware detection has nothing in common which things that GST or
|   PGI tools try to do. We're not talking here about PGI installer (I
|   thinnk that you have mixed them)

Uhm, what does the PGI acronym expand to in your dictionary?  Here it
expands to «Progeny Graphical Installer».  Anyhow, as others have
pointed out: for a configuration tool to work well in Debian it should
work with debconf, not against it.

| P.S: I'm CCing you as I asume you're not subscribed to
| setup-tools-hackers list.

I am subscribed to pgi-workers, however.  np.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-