Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Re: Gnome System Tools + PGI + Progenyhackers + more developers from Debian = working Debian Desktop

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 03:13:47PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * =?windows-1257?Q?Mantas_Kriau=E8i=FBnas?=
>
> | I think Debian desktop distribution shoud use a PGI installer
> | (http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/) for installation with automatic
> | harware detection (PGI uses discover, mdetect and other debian tools
> | for automatic hardware detection) and GNOME System Tools
> | (http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/) for configuration.
>
> How are you going to use those tools over a serial line?  GNOME
> won't work unless you have a graphical terminal.  Having people
> looking at what solutions Debian is actually working on, how they work
> and what problems they solve that some other solution doesn't solve,
> before suggesting how and what solutions Debian should use.  Also,
> putting code where your mouth is might get you somewhere.  That means
> getting PGI to work on all those arches where it doesn't today.

   Some time ago, I asked for backends to be moved out of GST, but it
  seems that nobody cared, and still people makes the same error. GST
  has currently two parts, backends written in Perl and the Gnome
  front-end. What he (and also me) is asking is that PGI and GST should
  coordinate to work on backends together, instead of going orthogonal
  to get the same result. Once you have those backends working properly,
  you can build a curses front-end, a GNOME front-end, a KDE front-end
  or whatever you want.

> Currently, Debian is going for debian-installer.  It is modularized
> and frontend-agnostic.  It currently uses discover for hardware
> detection.

    He's talking here about configuration, not installation. And more
  about cofiguration from desktop (for Debian Desktop project) than
  any other thing.

    Hardware detection has nothing in common which things that GST or
  PGI tools try to do. We're not talking here about PGI installer (I
  thinnk that you have mixed them)

    Cheers,

P.S: I'm CCing you as I asume you're not subscribed to
setup-tools-hackers list.

--
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
     jsogo@debian.org