Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Gnome System Tools + PGI + Progenyhackers + more developers from Debian = working Debian Desktop

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 11:50:53PM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> >   What you have to understand is that GST is not a proyect developed
> >  only for Debian. Is a project that tries to provide a way for
> >  configuring the system for a "Joer Random" user who installs Linux and
> >  a desktop instead of Windows XP. And probably he will only use that
> >  system for browsing the web and writing some docs.
> >
> >   But I also think that extending GST with plugins from packages could
> >  be nice, but always hiding that under an "Advanced" button.
>
> That's fine; I agree with the general motivation.
>
> Perhaps Debian's GST can use debconf for the "Advanced" button directly;
> if GST is sufficiently easy and general, I suspect that most of the
> other configuration situations will be too specific to be useful as a
> general GST frontend.

  That could be a nice way to go. Using gtk debconf for those other
 configurations. By the way (sleeping is good), GST is not a only
 application as Linuxconf. Each tool is an inndependient application,
 and those are put toghether in the menu and in gnome control center,
 so adding tools is quite easy. Sorry if I have confused you, but
 somehow I was thinking on GST as an interface from which you can
 launch the configuration tools.

> Is GST packaged yet?  I can't find it in my apt cache.

  You have to look for Ximian Setup Tools, which was the former name of
 GST. I have packages for GST at http://people.debian.org/~jsogo/gst/
 I plan to upload them quite soon, but I'd like to wait a bit more for a
 new release of GST. Previously I was waiting for GNOME 2 to be moved to
 unstable

--
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
     jsogo@debian.org