Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Gnome System Tools + PGI + Progenyhackers + more developers from Debian = working Debian Desktop

Hi Mantas,

El mar, 05-11-2002 a las 10:24, Mantas Kriaučiūnas escribió:
> Hi,
>
> With this letter I would like to unite Progeny hackers with Gnome System
> Tools hackers for Debian Desktop (and whole Linux Desktop) project.

About a week ago I had a little conversation with Colin Walters (sorry
for not posting this issue to the list...) about the future of GST in
the debian desktop, it's one of the config tools candidates, but there
are still many things to do before worrying about this. Obviously, I
offered all the help we could provide to make GST a better candidate.

> Now I see 2 good and overlaping (see for example Date and Time
> Configuration screenshots -
> http://hackers.progeny.com/configlets/screenshots/screen04.png and
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/screenshots/time.jpg) projects - Gnome
> System Tools and Debian Configlets from Progeny. Both projects still are
> in beta stage and simple users can't really work with them. If Progeny
> hackers develop Gnome System Tools instead Progeny Configlets then users
> will get working tools for Linux system configuration. Now every Linux
> distribution has its own config tools and I think this is not good -
> Debian could be a good example to abandon its own config tools and start
>   developing and using unified ones.

It could be great!! Sometimes I'd wish more collaboration...

> I think Debian desktop distribution shoud use a PGI installer
> (http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/) for installation with automatic
> harware detection (PGI uses discover, mdetect and other debian tools for
> automatic hardware detection) and GNOME System Tools
> (http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/) for configuration. In out country
> (Lithuania) we made beta version of user-friendly debian desktop, we are
> using PGI and Debian Configlets
> (http://hackers.progeny.com/configlets/), but Debian Configlets have
> many bugs and are integrated only with old gnome - 1.4. Gnome System
> Tools (old name - Ximian Setup Tools) are better and more user-friendly,
> they are already integrated with GNOME 2. Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
> <jsogo@debian.org> produced debian packages - see
> http://people.debian.org/~jsogo/gst/ . I think Gnome System Tools shoud
> be standart debian user-friendly configuration tools ASAP, see bug

hmmm, I think there is a little problem with making GST the standard
user-friendly config tools for debian: debian isn't only Gnome, and GST
are currently Gnome based only (BTW the front-ends could be written
using any library)... this is an obstacle to beat.

	Thank you very much for your support

Esta parte del mensaje esta firmada digitalmente