Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] network.glade

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@helixcode.com> writes:

> Hello Jacob,
>
> > I'd appreciate comments on it.  Especially, what stuff is missing
> > there, what is too much, and other general comments.  I am tempted to
> > explain my rationale for things here, but I'd rather get your blind
> > impressions first.
>
> Well, I have looked at the Jacob interface and the Arturo/Hans
> interface for them and I have a few comments:
>
> 	* In the Hosts tab, I am not sure what that tab does, because
>           it has a column that says "Enabled" (btw, the sizes come out
>           wrong with the default Gtk+ theme, and chops Enabled, we
>           would need some runtime code to fix that).

It configures /etc/hosts.

Some meta-info:

I don't know any GUI for editing c:\windows\hosts, or whatever the mac
equivalent is.  So, I don't know if we really need this at all.  I
don't know that we shouldn't have it either.

The idea behind the enabled thing is that it would be a commented out
line.

So this /etc/hosts file:

        140.239.238.2   trna.helixcode.com      trna

        # 209.116.70.70  cvs.gnome.org

corresponds to:

        [X] 140.239.238.2       trna.helixcode.com trna
        [ ] 209.116.70.70       cvs.gnome.org

in the GUI.

I don't know that this is really needed, but i find it helpful.

> 	* I think we could use the new glade file, rename widgets and
>           put them on top of the Arturo/Hans interface and build on
>           top of that.

That was my intent. :)

>	The current UI on each page has an icon, and has a small text
>	description of what the thing does, for example:
>
> Can we get this in?

Yeah.  That kind of formatting wasn't what i was working on yet.  I
was going for the general content and flow.

Jacob
--
"The people who made the Macintosh produced a miracle, but that
 doesn't mean their code was wonderful." -- Bob Cringely