Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] network.glade

Arturo Espinosa Aldama <arturo@mezcal.dyndns.org> writes:

> Regarding DNS.
>
> Tools such as dhcpcd and pppd are broken, because they overwrite the
> /etc/resolv.conf information with the new, dynamic content. This way, the
> user doesn't have fallback information for those situations where the
> dynamic protocols leave the computer with wrong settings. Maybe location
> mannagement will help deal with this situation.

That's what the first checkbox on the dns tab is for.

If it is checked, the domain and dns servers boxes are disabled.

If not checked, the "update dns settings from dhcp when activated"
checkbox in the connection dialogs are disabled (and set to
unselected).

What we end up doing is having this in the /etc/pump.conf file:

device eth1 {
    nodns
}

for all interfaces with the "update dns settings from dhcp when
activated" unselected, and all interfaces if the dns checkbox is
disabled.

I'll look into what pppd has wrt this.  It may be a bit more bleak.

> I don't think the modem tab is relevant, as it is not a network interface:
> for that matter, any serial, paralel or usb port may be a network
> interface. Let's have the configuration for these devices somewhere
> else.

Ok.  There's nothing on it yet anyway; it was just a thought.

> * Don't use "..." to show a dialog will come up. I like this cue, but
>   others decided it looked ugly.

This has been a UI standard for years.  Years.  It's used by GNOME,
Windows, and the Mac, and probably KDE.  Not doing this is pretty
misleading to users, i think.

> * Use a colon (:) for all the labels, and make them right-justified so
>   that they have a more aligned fashion. I'm not sure if this is the best
>   in every situation. (Anna?)

The colon i can agree with; sadly it isn't uniform in gnome apps
(gnumeric vs. dia).  It isn't even consistent in a given application
(gnumeric).  I think it just adds some clutter but the mac and windows
both use it so what do i know.

Most GNOME stuff uses left aligned labels, as does windows.  The mac
uses right-aligned.  I don't know that I have a preference except that
I think most of GNOME uses left aligned.

Going for soup,
Jacob
--
"The people who made the Macintosh produced a miracle, but that
 doesn't mean their code was wonderful." -- Bob Cringely