Re: [Snowy] Snowy Hackfest Proposal

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Jeff Schroeder <jschroeder gnome org> wrote:
> Releasing Tomboy Online 1.0 requires:
>    - Some css / template love
>    - Banging out any openid bugs that we see in the error logs
>    - Properly fixing the innodb issues as snowy requires working transactions
>
> I was thinking of initially making snowy a "read only tomboy note
> syncing / viewing / sharing platform". That keeps the feature set
> small and makes the release goal very attainable. Scope creep will
> bite us hard if we add too many ponies at first. After beta (and maybe
> pre-1.0) we can work on enabling the funcooker by default and editing
> notes from the webui, encryption, etc.

I completely agree with you, except that I don't think we have any
hackfest-warranting issues that are blocking a public beta.

The way I see it, we're only a couple of patches away from an
invite-only alpha, and the only thing *really* blocking a public beta
is confidence in our ability to handle so many users and their data.

If we're going to have a hackfest, we should be working towards some
big stuff (ponies), otherwise it's a waste of the Foundation's money
to get together.  If we're not confident that we can work on some
ponies in October, we should aim for a later date for the hackfest.

Just my 2 cents,
Sandy