Re: [Snowy] Snowy Hackfest Proposal

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Sandy Armstrong
<sanfordarmstrong gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Jeff Schroeder <jschroeder gnome org> wrote:
>> Releasing Tomboy Online 1.0 requires:
>>    - Some css / template love
>>    - Banging out any openid bugs that we see in the error logs
>>    - Properly fixing the innodb issues as snowy requires working transactions
>>
>> I was thinking of initially making snowy a "read only tomboy note
>> syncing / viewing / sharing platform". That keeps the feature set
>> small and makes the release goal very attainable. Scope creep will
>> bite us hard if we add too many ponies at first. After beta (and maybe
>> pre-1.0) we can work on enabling the funcooker by default and editing
>> notes from the webui, encryption, etc.
>
> I completely agree with you, except that I don't think we have any
> hackfest-warranting issues that are blocking a public beta.
>
> The way I see it, we're only a couple of patches away from an
> invite-only alpha, and the only thing *really* blocking a public beta
> is confidence in our ability to handle so many users and their data.
>
> If we're going to have a hackfest, we should be working towards some
> big stuff (ponies), otherwise it's a waste of the Foundation's money
> to get together.  If we're not confident that we can work on some
> ponies in October, we should aim for a later date for the hackfest.

You are right. What major things do we want to work on for the hackfest then?

What is stopping us from enabling the funcooker other than server side
editing not being supported. If thats it, I could work on editing. It
can't be much harder than posting the new data, updating NoteInstance,
and updating the user's sync guid more or less.

Scaling django is just like scaling any other webapp. Measure,
optimize, measure, optimize, repeat. It works for the mahalo.com guys
(right down the street from here) so it will work for us. Lets add
investigating the django caching layer + memcached to "the list". Can
someone open a bug for that? I'd be interested in working on that as
well.

Finally, I tested (by changing them manually in the admin) assigning
multiple openid urls to a single user. Snowy supported it all
perfectly. I was thinking of adding another instance of the
openid-selector in the preferences page for doing just that. More
ideas welcome.

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com