Re: [Snowy] OAuth in Snowy

Sandy Armstrong wrote:
>> Sort of; if you're a server implementor, you could just allow *any*
>> consumer key/secret combination, rather than limiting it to certain
>> specific ones?
>
> Well, that won't really work unless you always use PLAINTEXT, as the
> consumer secret is part of the signature key and should be a known
> entity.

d'oh, and you are correct, ignore me :)

> However, per the OAuth spec:
>
> "The Consumer Secret MAY be an empty string (for example when no
> Consumer verification is needed, or when verification is achieved
> through other means such as RSA)."
>
> Maybe that's the best approach.

Could be, but piston doesn't currently support empty secrets (which is
why I used tomboy/tomboy rather than tomboy/"". That ought to be
fixable; tbh if it's not then we tell everyone that your Consumer Secret
must be the string "secret" :-)

> Do we know if django-piston supports automatically adding new consumer
> keys that appear in requests?  Probably not...we should probably
> implement that part ourselves.

Shouldn't be too difficult...

sil