Re: [Snowy] OAuth in Snowy

Sandy Armstrong wrote:
> But I realized we are going to have some issues:
>
> 1. The request_token, authorize, and access_token base URLs need to be
> done the same way on all implementing servers, *or* we need to have
> them specified in the root resource we recently added to the API (this
> means one additional request before starting the OAuth process).

I personally think that they should be in the same place on each server;
rooturl/oauth/authenticate etc. If someone has a massive, massive need
to do them elsewhere, they can always add HTTP redirects from the
"Tomboy-required" URLs to whatever they want.

> 2. The OAuth consumer key and consumer secret need to be identical in
> each server implementation, or specified by the user, or acquired
> through some other hackery.  This could be a big problem, I think.
> Perhaps the solution is to generate dozens of reserved pairs just for
> this API, and work together to assign them to different client apps?
> I think it would be really handy of Tomboy, Tomdroid, Conboy, etcs,
> all had different consumer keys and secrets (so if one of them has a
> bug that DDoS's servers, we can selectively throttle).  I guess that
> could also be done with user agent, but I think that's not the "right"
> way?

I specified consumer key and consumer secret for Tomboy as "tomboy" for
each. Since it's open source the key and secret are relatively
irrelevant, and are not secret (this is a thing about OAuth generally,
not specific to our implementation of it); they're like a user-agent
string (as you note), so they're useful as an optional "flag" (so you
can say "throttle 'tomboy' because it's got a bug in it, or similar).

sil