Re: [Snowy] Crash when doing PUT

On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 09:22 -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
> > In the sites table I now have four entries:
> > - 10.11.1.183:8000
> > - localhost:8000
> > - 127.0.0.1:8000
> > - example.com
>
> Well, I think you have to set one of those to be the "current" site.

Thanks Sandy! This was the reason why Tomboy was not syncing. I didn't
find a way to set one of them to "current", but removing all and only
leaving "10.11.1.183:8000" there did the trick.

The reason why this is needed is, that Tomboy makes a request
to /api/1.0 and gets back the full URL for making the next request. In
my case this was something like "http://example.com/root/notes";. Tomboy
then tried to access this URL which of course failed.

Maybe the Tomboy log should contain the information which URL it was
trying to connect to, instead of only logging the answer it got from
this URL?!

> >> How are you starting Snowy?  You may need to start it with:
> >>
> >> python manage.py runserver 10.11.1.183:8000
> >
> > I did use "python manage.py runserver 0.0.0.0:8000" as Benoit suggested
> > on the Snowy list. I now also tried with 10.11.1.183. The result is the
> > same, only that I'm not able to connect to localhost anymore.
>
> Honestly, I am not very familiar with this part of django (or any of
> django, it's quite new to me actually).  For the purposes of testing,
> it would be great if you could run Snowy on the same machine as
> Tomboy, set 'localhost:8000' as the "current" site, run `python
> manage.py runserver` with no additional arguments, and put
> 'http://localhost:8000' in Tomboy's web sync preferences UI.

Running Snowy like this "python manage.py runserver 0.0.0.0:8000" works
and is the most flexible as clients can connect from every IP address.

> If that still doesn't work, we'll need to roll up our sleeves and do
> some serious debugging.  Right now I'm still thinking it could just be
> a configuration issue.

Luckily there is no need to do this anymore :) While trying tons of
different settings and stuff I somehow also managed to get my own code
running and just did the first successful PUT request. The problem is
only that I changed so many things, that I'm not exactly sure where the
error was. I'll undo some of my changes and see if I can find out what
the problem was.

Two more things:
- There seems to be a bug when requesting access to Snowy via Tomboy. If
you're not already logged into Snowy Tomboy will open the Browser and
present a not existing page. It works correctly if you're already logged
in.

- When doing a PUT request and the last-sync-revision is set wrong you
get "Bad Request" as reply. Nothing else. I think it would really be
helpful to get a proper error message there. At least helpful to new
client developers ;) There's already a comment about this in the source
code, so the problem seems to be known.

Anyways, thank you very much for the help! Hopefully it's getting easier
from now on :)

Cheers!
Conny