Re: [Shotwell] New Map Feature: Hide map

Hey Max

On Son, 2016-07-24 at 23:57 +0900, Max wrote:
On 2016년 07월 24일 22:05, Andreas Brauchli wrote:

Hey Max
looks like libtool is missing. sudo apt-get install libtool

compiled and installed successfully after installing the last
missing
dependency libtool
Cool, glad it worked!

how to make sure the installed version is the one launched when
clicked
on the icon? In Shotwell the version shows 0.23.5
$ shotwell --version
a self compiled binary will show you the exact git tree
e.g. Shotwell 0.23.5 (ec9699e5d7b7e488824eeec4b459437fd4e51b6b)
and the following will show you where it's installed
$ which shotwell
pre-packaged software usually installs to /usr/bin while custom-
compiled goes to /usr/local/bin (unless you change the prefix during
./autogen or ./configure)

Not to be rude, but I don't think the point of this mailing list is
individual compilation support. There's tons of documentation on
building packages on linux in general, so don't be shy to at least
google the error message first. If it's really shotwell specific,
then
yes, this is absolutely the place for.
I certainly don't want to discourage people from helping to test
and I
don't want to intimidate anyone to ask for help if a build doesn't
work
right away - we all had to learn it - but I do want to encourage a
sustainable helping culture.

I've compiled your version before, so I didn't expect a new
dependency
hell to break out since the last time.

Look, I don't want to be condescending either, but it's 32 degrees
C  +
humid here and that's around midnight. there is no aircon. It's hard
focus a thought here and it doesn't help when the documentation
tells
you to run ./configure and that isn't even there.
I get it and I'm feeling for you. We all have our issues (although I'm
really glad to only have 60-70% humidity at those temperatures!), I'm
just asking to Google for a solution for 3 minutes before posting since
answering will also cost time to someone..

and if a package already exists that you want to recompile, chances
are
high that you'll get all or most dependencies from the version in
the
repository. Apt has a built in command to install build
dependencies:

sudo apt-get build-dep shotwell

ok, then why not including this step in the INSTALL?
It'll error on non-debian based systems, and it doesn't work if the
package catalog doesn't contain shotwell on debian based systems. Both
can't reasonably be assumed. Even the package names of the dependencies
differ from distro to distro.. I guess we just got used to it.

Cheers
andreas