Re: [Shotwell] Taking over

Hi,

Hi, Jens.

I’ve been using Shotwell since I switched from Windows to Ubuntu in
2010, and have more than 20,000 images catalogued and tagged using it.

I had hoped that it would be available on Windows and Mac OS, but by
the time I acquired a Mac in 2013, a Mac version was no longer
available, so I’ve been using it in a Virtual Ubuntu machine on my Mac
since then.

This works, but it’s annoying to have to start up Ubuntu every time I
want to look at my images, upload from camera, etc.

I can imagine.

If a Mac version of Shotwell isn’t on the horizon, I really need to
look at a way of migrating to a native Mac application. The first
requirement would be a way of exporting all the metadata collected
within Shotwell in such a way that it can be associated with the image
files and then imported, bearing in mind that I have a lot of RAW
images and Shotwell can’t (probably shouldn’t?) write metadata into
them.

Best of luck!

Windows might be feasible, but I don't have any Mac available, so I
cannot help you directly with a Mac version of it.

And I think I agree that writing meta-data should probably if ever be
an opt-in function.