Re: importing SSH keys - or store their keyrings

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 22:16 +0200, Benedict Stein wrote:
> fyi, ssh keys are autoimported if id_rsa (private) and id_rsa.pub are
> both within ~/.ssh
>
> it might be appropriate to note this thing to some kind of
> documentation and FAQ
>
> If both private and public file are in that Dir ssh key questions are
> handled by seahorse
>

> => so were is the problem using the import key dialog to simply CP the
> SSH keys ? - if I'd have more time I would dive into it and try it my
> self - but there is no spare time yet.
>
> Am Dienstag, den 04.05.2010, 19:41 +0200 schrieb Benedict Stein:
> > HI list,
> >
> > as you might have noticed some users including me reinstalled the
> > whole system during the release of Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 LTS.
> > After the reinstalltion I've imported the GPG keys successfully, but
> > failed to do the same with the SSH key.
> > I've only stored my private one - which I know now wasn't the best
> > way, and I've already read that there is NO way to import SSH Keys
> > into seahorse. (FAQ)
> >
> > So my question is what does I have to do to use both together again,
> > SSH key and seahorse, does I have to create a new SSH key and use
> > this one instead.
> > Why is there no way of importing SSH Keys - even if SSH are as easy
> > handled as just copying to ~/.ssh/
> >
> > It would be nice of you If you'd help me out with those questions
> > and possibly provide a way how I could use GIT wihouht entering the
> > SSH passphrase on every Push and Pull - In Karmic it was auto
> > accepted because of the stored password in seahorse.
> >

> > Kindest Regards
> > Benedict Stein

Hi Benedict,

I try and keep up Seahorse's documentation and noting that manually
copying the .ssh directory auto-imports is a good idea.

I'm traveling this week for the GNOME Marketing Hackfest - would you
mind opening a bug in Bugzilla for Seahorse and assign it to docs and
I'll take care of fixing it this cycle?  (Otherwise I know I'll forget).

Thank you.

Paul